Let the world change you... and you can change the world

We The 99%

I’m not sure where this Occupy Wall Street movement is headed — it could certainly fizzle out quickly and soon be totally forgotten.  But if things continue as they have for the last 30 years, with the 1% taking more and more and leaving less and less for the 99%, you can pretty much count on more and even bigger demonstrations like this in the future, and at some point they are going to make a turn for the worse as far as violence goes.  I suspect we really aren’t that far away from “pitchforks and torches” in the street.

You have to wonder what is going through the minds of the 1%.  Do they really want a people’s revolution?  Are they actually hoping that might happen so they can clamp down with a totalitarian government which they control?  At what point do they say we have enough money, we don’t have to have it all, we can start sharing the wealth with the 99%?  Or is there no limit to their greed and self-centeredness?

This is an extremely wealthy country, and there’s enough wealth to go around for everyone.  But only if the 1% doesn’t hoard all that wealth for themselves.  For the majority of Americans, I don’t think they begrudge some corporate exec or Wall St. financier making millions of dollars — more power to them.  But when the 1% is making 300 times what the average worker is making, and unemployment and under-employment for the 99% is approaching 20%, we have a problem.  Add to that all the other issues that are destroying the middle class — failing public schools, college tuition that no one but the 1% can afford, 45 million people without basic health care — and the situation becomes intolerable.  If the 1% are not willing to make their fair contribution to the common good, then it will ultimately come down to a real revolution.  The only question is when.